COMBATIVE FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR - Certification Program
The CFI program is designed for professional firearms instructors who want to add advanced combative and reality-based training options for individuals, businesses, churches, and communities.
There are four tiers of certification offered:
Tier 4: Combatives - Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle
- Cost: $895 Handgun (Rifle + Shotgun add-ons)
- Duration: 2 Range days, 20 hours online.
- Experience: Must be a current instructor (NRA ore equivalent) with significant training experience.
Tier 3: Individual Tactics - Reality Based Training
- Cost: $1,495
- Duration: 2 Range days, 40 hour online.
- Pre-requisites: Must have Tier 4 certification plus significant tactical law enforcement or military background.
Tier 2: Team Tactics Defense of Business, School, Church
- Cost $2,495
- Duration: 2 Range days. 80 hours online
- Pre-requisites: Tier 3 certification
Tier 1: Unit Tactics Defense of Community
- Cost $2,495
- Duration: 2 Range days. 80 hours online
- Pre-requisites: Tier 2 certification
Certification programs are run year-around at locations throughout the United States. See details below.
You can either scroll down and read the program details, or click on the link to be taken to that section.
- Description of the CFI program.
- Product and service offerings.
- Sales and marketing resources.
- Administrative resources.
- The certification process.
The CFI program is designed for current instructing professionals who want to add advanced combative and reality-based training options for individuals, businesses, churches, and communities.
The program works just like any other professional program - candidate instructors pay Pulse O2DA for their training, are then accredited to instruct and certify their own students. Pulse Certified CFI's can purchase training materials, sales, and marketing collaterals, "SWAG," and other training resources from Pulse O2DA if they desire.
Additionally, CFI's are authorized to resell our training manuals and memberships in our O2DA Defense Academy. Most importantly, certified Tier 4 instructors can partner with us in order to offer Tier 3, Tier 2, and Tier 1 programs and engagements for local businesses, churches, schools, and communities.
Candidates for CFI program must have significant firearms training experience and above average gun handling skills. Tier 4 candidates must be a current NRA instructor with a solid firearms background. Tier 3 and above candidates must have significant military or tactical law enforcement backgrounds.
The CFI Program is NOT a firearms training program for instructors - weapons proficiency are a must and proper gun-handling skills are expected. CFI candidates will spend all their time teaching the Pulse curricula to Pulse standards, setting up and tearing down ranges, running the firing line, demonstrating their shooting skills when not lecturing, and learning the processes needed to recruit, engage, and track student progress.
The CFI program offers candidate instructors:
- Advanced courses and programs to sell to their existing NRA students.
- World class training and certification process teaching combative firearms instruction.
- Comprehensive curriculum including training scripts, plans, course and program formats, administrative documents, integrated training manuals and videos.
- Additional revenue opportunities via sale of manuals, O2DA Defense Academy memberships and other partnerships.
Once certified the CFI is then authorized to train and certify students using the Pulse O2DA curriculum and resources. The CFI sets their own price and keeps all of the revenue from their training.
The highlights of the CFI program include:
- Turnkey combative firearms training program that integrates firearms fundamentals, reality based training and small unit tactics.
- Training Ladder provides opportunity to grow powerful and lasting relationships with individuals, businesses, churches, schools, and communities.
- CFI courses and programs do not compete with existing NRA, CCW and other entry level courses, instead Pulse courses enhance and expand the CFI's offerings.
- CFI's can operate independently or partner up with a gun shop or existing Pulse O2DA Authorized Training Partner (ATP).
The Pulse O2DA "Training Ladder"
The Pulse O2DA "Training Ladder" is at the core of our training resources and describes a step-by-step approach for students to progress as far and as fast as they want in order to meet their training objectives. The training ladder moves a firearms novice through four stages of skill development:
1. Developing basic firearms fundamentals on handgun, shotgun, and rifle.
2. Applying these skills to individual maneuver for self-defense.
3. Developing team tactics necessary to defend business, church, and school.
4. Learning small unit tactics for defense of neighborhoods and communities.
The training ladder begins with mastering basic handgun manipulations in a personal defense scenario. Then it adds shotgun and rifle to the personal defense skills inventory, followed by introducing individual tactics for defense in home and on the street. Next are team tactics necessary to defend a single location like a school, church, or business. The training ladder culminates with small unit tactics for the defense of a community; like a neighborhood, village, or small town.
All of our training resources are organized around the training ladder - the manuals, courses, programs and are proprietary "training fittings" are all designed to engage and move a student/client up the ladder thereby creating new revenue opportunities for instructors, ranges and shops.
The CFI product/service offering consists of training courses and programs, manuals, and an online portal subscription. This product/service offering can be packaged in several different formats depending on the CFI's business model. All of the product/services we offer synchronize with our Training Ladder which allows the CFI to build a powerful and lasting relationship with the student/customer. The product/service formats are:
- Training Manuals - "Pulse O2DA Defense Series" includes seven training manuals describing the strategy, tactics, and techniques necessary to defend home, business and community.
- O2DA Defense Academy - a recurring, annuity based, subscriber paid membership community.
- Training Course Formats - (4 hour format) synchronized with the Training Ladder for handgun, shotgun and rifle.
- Training Program Formats - for individual, team (business, school, church) and unit (neighborhood, community).
CFI's are under no obligation to purchase or sell any Pulse O2DA offerings except if they want to certify their students as official Pulse O2DA certified then they need to follow this process.
"Pulse O2DA Defense Series" includes seven training manuals describing the strategy, tactics, and techniques necessary to defend home, business and community. The manuals are available for sale individually, or in bundled sets from the Pulse O2DA web site or local firearms retailers. The entire series encompasses more than 1500 pages of content including 300 plus diagrams and 400 photos. CFI's are able to purchase manual at wholesale and resell them to their students.
The hub for all of our training resources is our ONLINE FIREARMS ACADEMY - O2DA Defense Academy. Inside you will find our manuals, videos, photos, drills, training plans and other content. The resources inside the O2DA Defense Academy are segmented by individuals (home, street), teams (business, school, church) and units (communities, neighborhoods).
All Pulse O2DA students must purchase a membership in the O2DA Defense Academy prior to taking a course. This is the same as having to buy your books before taking a college course.
Additionally, the O2DA Defense Academy is where our CFI's go to access all of their resources including instructional materials, scripts, collaterals, etc.
As a CFI you have the right to resell subscriptions to the O2DA Defense Academy. The suggested retail price of the O2DA Defense Academy is $29.95 per month. You earn 50% of the subscription amount payed monthly for all direct sales.
All Tier 4 certified CFI's can instruct our training courses. We offer modular 4-hour combative firearms course formats for the handgun, shotgun and rifle. We do not offer primers, intro's, familiarization, safety, CCW, permitting or other NRA type "beginner" or administrative course formats. We assume candidate CFI's already have that ground covered, and we do not want to compete with those course formats.
Click the following links for a detailed description of each course:
Our modular building block approach is presented via a total-immersion hands-on structured training environment that integrates range training with online resources via the O2DA Defense Academy, including pre and post-course self-paced activities. Students will be steeped in combative gun-handling skills and shooting fundamentals via both dry-practice and live-fire drills. By the end of this series of courses the student will have the necessary experience and knowledge needed to safely handle and effectively shoot their weapon, as well as having a base of knowledge and understanding of combative skills needed to help make the best decisions for future training.
A unique feature that only Pulse O2DA offers is the integration of range training with our paid, online O2DA Defense Academy. The Defense Academy allows the CFI to leverage his talents and time by segregating those things the student can learn on his own (book knowledge) from those things that are best learned under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor. In other words, the Pulse Defense Academy allows the CFIs to focus his efforts on helping students develop better gun handling and tactical skills.
CFI students join the O2DA Defense Academy for only $12.95 per month and are then able to access structured pre and post course resources and materials which students come to use regularly to facilitate their training. Students can stay subscribed for as long as they want, and as long as they are subscribed we split the revenue from their membership 50/50 with the CFI. The Defense Academy is a necessary and vital part of the training process and CFI's are encouraged to pass this cost on to the students the same way a college requires students to pay for their course and then their books. In this case the students books reside inside the O2DA Defense Academy in both HTML and .pdf versions.
Another unique feature we offer are "Training Groups" found inside the O2DA Defense Academy. Each CFI can have their own "Training Group" into which their students will be placed. The CFI can then communicate with their students inside the Training Group and do everything from post videos and photos from a latest class, to announcements for upcoming courses, files for downloading, etc. This is a private group that only the CFI and their students can access and of course the students in the Training Group have full access to all of the resources found in the O2DA Defense Academy.
Students treasure certifications and other acknowledgements of genuine achievements. If the CFI wants to offer the official Pulse O2DA certification, in other words the student receives a certification stating that they have been trained and certified to Pulse O2DA combative standards, then the CFI must do the following:
- Train the student using the Pulse O2DA curriculum.
- Test the student using the Pulse O2DA standards.
- Sign and submit on online affidavit stating that the CFI trained and tested the student to the Pulse O2DA curriculum.
With that completed the CFI can then:
- Co-sign and present the official Pulse O2DA certification (original signed by Ron Danielowski - Chief Instructor) to the student.
- Present the student with the official Pulse O2DA challenge coin.
Once the CFI has passed their certification they are under no obligation to teach the Pulse O2DA curriculum. Some CFI's may want to integrate various aspects of the Pulse O2DA curriculum and resources into their own methodology - which they are free to do. What they cannot do - is modify our curriculum or integrate it, and then offer official Pulse O2DA certifications to their students based upon a modified or integrated curriculum. (Tier 1-4 CFI's can instruct Tier 4 courses)
We offer three training program formats - Individual, Team and Unit Tactics. The difference between a "course" and a "program" is the introduction of reality based training, working with team and group tactics, training, organization, team and unit leadership, coordination, etc. Programs are at the top of the Training Ladder and offer the CFI a unique business model to begin developing these opportunities.
Tier 3 - Individual Tactics is designed for individuals who want to master self-defense in home and street scenarios. This program trains handgun, shotgun and rifle (primary, secondary, tertiary) using 25 escalating reality-based training scenarios. We offer both basic and advanced shooter versions of Individual Tactics, including a complete provisioning package for individuals who would like to purchase their firearms, equipment, and training in one package. This program was created for clients with either no prior weapons or force-on-force Reality Based Training (RBT) experiences on which to build, and who are interested in an accelerated, total-immersion training experience. (Tiers 3,2 and 1 CFI's can instruct)
Tier 2 - Team Tactics is designed for individuals who want to learn how to work as part of an effective team defending a business, school, or church. MoC-2 is for those individuals who already have solid firearms handling and Reality Based Training or "RBT" experiences on which to build. The program trains individuals how to work with other like minded operators in the defense of a building and its immediate surroundings. (Tiers 2 and 1 CFI's can instruct)
Tier 1 - Unit Tactics. This training takes the individual operator from the individual, team, and close quarters battle environment and teaches him how to apply his skills on a broader range in defense of his neighborhood and community. In this intensive training package the individual operator will be trained and tested in his ability to become an integral part of a small unit where he will learn to defend not only buildings but the community as a whole. This training develops the shooting, gun-handling, maneuvering, tactical knowledge and killing ability to function and lead small units/teams in an real world operational environments that may exist due to natural disasters or civil unrest. As such, this places your skill set on an equivalent level of the higher performance S.W.A.T. teams. (Only Tier 1 CFI's can instruct).
CFI's can purchase "cert packs" from us consisting of blank signed certs and challenge coins. We have cert packs for each student tier level. The only way a student can be officially certified by Pulse is via the signed cert and challenge coin. Instructors buy these in bulk from us.
In order for a student to get the cert not only must they pass the modules/program per the judgement of his instructor, he must also be a paying member of the O2DA Defense Academy which is another proof for us that he did his homework and is indeed certifiable.
These are the requirements necessary for the instructor to certify a student:
1. Student must be a paying member (member in good standing) in the O2DA Defense Academy.
2. Student must pass course (i.e. Tier 4 Mod-4 in handgun,shotgun or rifle) or one of our program (Tier 3,2,1).
3. Instructor must purchase cert pack and fill out cert.
Then the Student is officially acknowledged as Pulse O2DA Certified with all the rights and privileges accorded.
As a CFI you have access to sales, advertising and marketing collaterals to help sell your services to gun shops and potential prospects and to help gun shops and ranges to sell your products and services. You also have access to other resources that allow you to communicate with your students. Below is a representative sample of these resources. Some of these resources come with your certification fee, others, like the NRA, can be purchased from us.
Your Own Training Group - Training groups are the CFI's private section inside of the O2DA Defense Academy where you go to interact with your student cadre.
You can personalize your training group with your own branding and messaging.
Your students must have a payed monthly membership to the O2DA Defense Academy to be in your training group.
Inside your training group you can:
- Make posts of upcoming events, training dates, etc.
- Upload videos of your training.
- Store files like your own graded threat matrix, METL’s, site assessment, etc.,
- Post photos of your facility, training exercises, etc.
Digital Identity - Digital images you can use to put together your own web pages and other online presentations and email campaigns. (Comes with certification fee.)
- Pulse O2DA Logo
- O2DA Defense Academy Logo
- Training Ladder
Marketing And Advertising Collaterals - In store marketing and advertising collaterals for the CFI. (Available for purchase from inside the O2DA Defense Academy.)
- Flyer/Postcards - Pulse O2DA
- Certification Sticker
- Small 8.5” x 11” Counter Top Poster
- Larger 24” x 36” Hanging Poster
- Floor Banner with Stand
Kits/Swag - Clothing, caps and accessories for you and your clients.(Available for purchase from inside the O2DA Defense Academy.)
- Certification Patch
- TAG Cap
- Polo Shirt
- Jacket 3-way
Certification Packs (Available for purchase from inside the O2DA Defense Academy.)
One of the more important aspects of training for students is a measurement or acknowledgement of their training achievements. We offer signed official Pulse O2DA certifications and challenge coins that can be bought by our CFI's and then awarded to students who successfully complete their course.
Affiliate Information - Account set-up and web images. (Comes with certification fee.)
- Affiliate Tiles/Banners
All CFI's work out of our CFI Portal which is inside the O2DA Defense Academy. Inside the CFI Portal you will find: certification process details; training scripts, schedules and notes; sales collaterals AND marketing resources, etc.
Additionally, as a certified CFI you have access to our library of administrative forms and other content you can use to help launch and run your training business.
- Monthly ATP Schedule: A Word document template that CFIs can use to post training schedules at your ATP's online calendar.
- Combative Sighted Fire Report: A PDF to be sent to a student prior to attending specific modular courses.
- Student Course Curricula: A PDF documents to be sent to the student prior to attending a course. Also used in pre-sales.
- CFI Student Alpha File: A spreadsheet that CFIs can use to track students training progress.
- Numerous Email Templates: Sent to students for sales conversions, pre, and post course training, follow up, training opportunity/update formats that help your students take their training to the next level.
- Stands and Barricades Blueprints: This are PowerPoint file and .pdf showing the design of the standard barricades and stands CFIs will can use for training outdoors.
- General Liability Release: This is a Word doc template release of liability that the CFI can customize customize for his jurisdiction.
- Dry Practice Rules and Guide: This is release indicated that the student understands and will abide by the suggested dry practice rules while providing students a step-by-step guide to safe and effective long term dry-practice routine.
- Basic Course Range Equipment Inventory: This is a checklist you can modify for all the equipment you'll need to stage your training courses.
- Range and Classroom Set-up: A checklist of tasks to make sure you set-up and take down all equipment and property.
- Range Pack List: Master checklist of all training items.
- Trauma Bag Load-Out: Checklist of all medical items.
Instructors must first pass the "Qualifying Certification" which allows them to instruct the curriculum, certify students and sell our offerings. Then, each year they must either re-qualify via "Recurring Certification" or train a minimum number of students for the prior 12 months:
Tier 4: Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle. $895 Qualifying Certification /$495 Recurring Certification or 10 certified students over 12 months
Tier 3: Individual Tactics. $1,495 Qualifying Certification /$995 Recurring Certification or 4 programs over 12 months
Tier 2: Team Tactics. $2,495 Qualifying Certification /$1,495 Recurring Certification or 2 programs over 12 months
Tier 1: Unit Tactics. $2,495 Qualifying Certification/$1,495 Recurring Certification or 1 program over 12 months
Each instructor upon passing their certification receive a signed paper certification suitable for framing, a patch for their cap and a t-shirt with their cert level logo.
REGISTRATION FOR THE TIER 4 COMBATIVE FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
This program is for candidates interested in becoming a certified Pulse O2DA Combative Firearms Instructors (CFI). The CFI program is designed for current NRA instructors who want to add advanced combative and reality-based training options for individuals, businesses, churches and communities
We only accept CFI candidates with significant firearms training experience for our Tier 4 CFI's. Tier 3 and above must have significant tactical law enforcement or military experience. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
There is a 30-day, 20-hour online course preparation requirement leading up to the 2-day on range training event.
CFI candidates will have have to do their homework as well as attend weekly Monday evening 1-hour (7-8pm Central) online meetings in order to pass the course. Candidates must demonstrate declarative knowledge, procedural skills and techniques, and most importantly - the ability to deliver them effectively using our methodology.
If the CFI does not pass the first time they can return and retake the course at a reduced rate.
These are the steps to becoming a Pulse O2DA certified Combative Firearms Instructor:
- Select your course date and register.
- Send us an email to email@example.com outlining your firearms training experience and contact information.
- We will then schedule a private briefing which is conducted via teleconference, during which we present the opportunity to you in detail.
- If we are satisfied that you have a strong chance of achieving your certification then we will clear you for your course and invoice you for the course fee.
Your Certification Cost Includes
- The training course fee.
- Web site listing on the Pulse O2DA web site including "baseball card" and full page profile.
- Co-branded Defense Group inside the O2DA Defense Academy.
- Access to all administrative files inside the CFI Portal.
Your certification cost does not include:
- Travel and lodging
- Weapons and equipment - you a professional, so you should already have your own.
- Merchandising elements
- Sales and marketing support resources.
Plan on arriving no later than the evening prior to your course date. Sign-in begins at 0700 the day of your course. The course will start promptly at 0800. Late-comers will not be allowed to take the course. Please bring a sack lunch and snacks.
Day One Itinerary
Course Instruction: 0800 - 2000
Day Two Itinerary
Course Instruction: 0800 - 1800
Quad-Cities, IL. There are many lodging options available in the Quad-Cities. Please do a Google search on lodging in the Quad-Cities to view your options.
Galena, IL. Galena is about 1 hour away. This is great option for those of you who might bring your significant other. Galena is a beautifully preserved, historically significant town, renowned as a tourist destination with all sorts of things to do. Please do a Google search for Galena lodging options.
Cancellations And Refunds
Once your payment is processed then you are committed to the program. There are no refunds. If you are unable to attend your scheduled date then you will be able to cancel and attend a future program. We train rain or shine so there are no weather cancellations. Should we cancel a program after payment has been made then we will either refund your payment in full or apply it towards the next course.
Additional Costs And Considerations
Once you have paid for, and gained your certification, you have no other obligation to pay us anything or to purchase anything from us. For those CFI's who would like marketing support and or merchandising support we offer a number of items and services you can purchase directly from us which we will cover during your private briefing.